What to Expect When Getting New Dentures Hackensack, NJ
Dentures are one of the most common dental services when it comes to replacing lost or extracted teeth both globally and at Gentle Dental Service. If the patient has lost many or all the teeth on the upper or lower jawbone, dentures are almost always the number one solution.
There are two main types of dentures: full (also known as complete) and partial dentures. Although they are very similar in terms of function, they have a few differences. Full dentures are used for patients that have no teeth on one of their jawbones, while partial dentures are used for patients that have one or multiple natural teeth remaining although they have lost the majority of them. For further information about denture types, you can read our article “Full and Partial Dentures”
Although dentures are very efficient and affordable, they are also not very comfortable to use, at least for the first few weeks after you start using them.
Dentures cause great discomfort in the mouth during the adjustment period. Since they are not direct replacements that fit in the tooth sockets like tooth implants, they are easy to be misplaced and slipped.
Moreover, especially for immediate dentures, which is one of the two types of full dentures, there frequently occurs the necessity of adjusting the dentures, since the gum and bone structure continue to heal and change their shape during the adjustment period.
This problem doesn’t usually occur with conventional full dentures, since they can only be used eight to twelve weeks after tooth loss. However, since the patient needs to carry out simple functions such as eating and speaking, immediate dentures should still be used right after tooth loss, until the gums and bones are ready for the conventional dentures to be used.
Advantages of Dentures
Dentures have a long list of advantages and here are the most important ones:
- Dentures are both fully functional and cost-effective dental products. They make life a lot easier for people who have multiple missing teeth.
- They are more affordable than most other alternatives, such as tooth implants.
- They don’t pose any danger to your dental health. They are harmless to your mouth and they don’t cause any problems as long as they are cleaned periodically.
- They can be custom-made for your special desires, such as defining the aperture between the teeth and tooth color.
Disadvantages of Dentures
Dentures are generally very functional and effective. However, they also have a set of disadvantages, just like other dental services. The most common of these disadvantages are:
- Immediate dentures may require frequent adjustments to be able to keep in place.
- Since dentures are bonded on a solid foundation, and that foundation is a piece of rubber that covers the roof of your mouth when placed, you may initially experience discomfort and difficulty in tasting the food you eat.
- Although dentures can be considered durable when in the mouth, they can easily crack or break when they are dropped.
- For the dentures to remain safe for your oral health, you need to clean and brush them daily.
If you live near or in Hackensack, New Jersey, visit us at Gentle Dental Service to consider your options about dentures. With our highly experienced and talented team of experts, we make sure that you get the best dental services possible in New Jersey.